Happy NYC Marathon Sunday to all! I know thousands of people are out running 26.2 miles today. As I sit here eating my "FINAL REAL MEAL" fro quite awhile, all I can think about is "I wonder if I could ever run a marathon?" Definitely not today, but I can't wait to see what the next year brings me after I am BANDED!!!!!
I started this journey accidentally back in July 2010. My friend was in Italy all summer. I got on someone else's Facebook page (because I refuse to join Facebook!) to look at her pictures and see where she had been so far. A friend of her's posted something, but all I noticed was her friend's website address underneath her profile... www.stopobesityforlife.com . I couldn't figure out why this friend would have that website on her profile, as she is not overweight at all, much less obese. I never actually looked at the pictures of Italy, I immediately went to that website. That friend is the office manager for this Bariatric doctor's office.
I signed up for the free weight loss seminar on July 28, 2010. I was so excited I couldn't wait to get home and weigh myself. I have been heavy all my life, my highest had always been 222lbs at 5 ft 6 in. At that weight I couldn't qualify for weight loss surgery. I had looked into quite a few years ago. I decided I was always going to be LARGE, but NOT QUITE LARGE ENOUGH. I knew I had gained weight lately, but hadn't weighed myself for quite some time. As I sat at that seminar and looked at the BMI chart, I thought I might get to "eat" my way to the qualifying weight. I got home that night and weighed myself and was completely shocked when I saw that I weighed 250lbs. I had a good cry that night, but then said, this is it. I'm going to research this surgery, the doctor, everything, and change my life. No more tears for me!
Since then, I have seen my cardiologist, endocrinologist, pulmonolgist, had an ultrasound of my gallbladder, an endoscopy, my nutritionist evaluation, my psychologist evaluation and my 1st consult with my doctor. I start my one week liquid diet TOMORROW!!!! I have been very excited up until this weekend. This weekend has been very tough as I am so nervous for the unknown. I'm excited to lose weight, but I have never been thin before. And when I say "thin" I mean of NORMAL weight.
My surgery is scheduled for Tuesday, November 16. My insurance approval has NOT been approved yet. I'm a little nervous about this, but the doctor's office assures me all should be fine. My doctor is Dr. Spencer Holover from The New York Bariatric Group. He will be performing a SINGLE INCISION LAPARSCOPIC GASTRIC BANDING with the LAPBAND.
I have read quite a few other blogs that have helped me prepare for this journey. I hope to be very honest and share my excitement, milestones & struggles with others going through the same thing.
Happy Blogging & Happy Banding to all!

Hi Erica, I'm glad you got caught up on my blog. Now I'm catching up to yours. I know what you mean about not being "big enough." After I had my first son I checked into LB and called a Bariatric Center and asked questions over the phone and I don't know if I misunderstood or if the lady gave me wrong information but the way I understood her was that if I fell under the BMI line of 35 during the 6 month diet, I would no longer qualify. At the time I was barely above 35, so any amount of weight loss would have put me under. So I forgot about it until after I had my second baby and THANK GOD I had the courage to go in person and show my face & learn more about it. For once I did something right for myself!!! And now I think I had wrong information the first time....that's what I get for hiding inside my house and not seeing a doctor. Bravo to you for getting out and getting the information yourself. :)
ReplyDeleteOh and I think it's awesome you got the single incision dealio too. I didn't get the option. I honestly didn't shop around though. I went with the hospital my insurance would cover, same place my husband works at (he's a nurse anesthetist), same place I had my two babies....I was just comfortable there but DANG I wish I could go without a bunch of visible incisions. At least I heal nicely. My c-sections are very difficult to see so I'm hoping these scars heal just as well.
ReplyDelete