weight loss ticker

Friday, January 21, 2011

Doctor Frustration...can ANYONE recommend a good DR in NYC???

I think I've mentioned before that I live in New York City, but my doctor's main office is in Long Island.  He is suppose to come to the city once a month to do surgeries and fills for his "city" patients.  So I am bound to his schedule no matter what.  The office hours in Long Island are Monday-Friday 9-5....so they say.  But really, they do surgeries Monday & Tuesday and the doctors are out both of those days.  Wednesday they're only there half days.  So really, to get a fill, their office hours are Wednesday from 2-5 and then 9-5 on Thursday and Friday.  This is not very easy to do anything with them.  I went to this doctor because a friend of mine works there.

So I had my first fill on Dec 22. and I've been (not too patiently) waiting for my next fill on Jan 26.  I've been telling people it's next week, how excited I am, hoping I will FINALLY get some restriction and get out of Bandster Hell.  NOPE.  The office called today and said he won't be able to make it to the city next Wednesday.  But he'll be back on Feb 16.  I CAN NOT WAIT THAT LONG.  I HAVE to find a doctor in NYC.

The girl just keeps saying, "but you can come to Long Island."  No, I can't just come to LI.  First of all, most people in the city don't have cars.  So I can't just jump in my car and run to your clinic. (which is AT LEAST an hour away...if there is no traffic).  Secondly, I do have a job.  I can't just up and leave a 2, 4, & 6 year old to fend for themselves.  She just doesn't seem to understand why I can't make it to LI.

For my first fill, I was scheduled at 2pm, thinking I'd be the first patient of the day (since that's what time they start after surgery) and be in and out of there.  I arranged my day around that 2pm appointment.  The morning of my fill they called and said he would still be in surgery and can I come later.  So I am 0 for 2 right now.  I'm not waiting for the 3rd strike to fall and be stressed out about this every month.

I'm out.  I've had enough.  So I am sitting here researching new doctors and practices.  If anyone lives in NYC or knows anyone in NYC that has a good Bariatric doctor, please send along their name and/or details.  I'm hoping this process doesn't take too long, but in the long run it will be for the best.

Thanks in advance for any help you could provide.

Erica


5 comments:

  1. Oh wow, this really sucks! hope it all works out for you! I know several bloggers are in NYC and rave about their docs, so hopefully they will help you out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck finding someone and quick. Sounds like you are making the right decision.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I go to NYU, and Dr. Kurian is my surgeon. Love her, and the whole office. Give them a call and see how you'd go about switching to their practice :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog - and for trying to go from day 1! It's really not necessar, though, I'm not that interesting!

    My actual surgeon was Dr. James McGinty at St. Lukes/Roosevelt. As you have read, I had to change docs because of my insurance, but it was for the best. I love Dr. Ren's office at NYU. Gaspar is the best at fills - done in under three seconds - no lie!

    The process of changing docs can be a little frustrating depending on how helpful you current doctor is. I am sure that if you just explain the situation regarding the scheduling of appointments they will get you what you need. Let's hope!

    As you read in my blog, I had some major issues with the fills and the office never really tried to find out what the issue was or even tried to do little baby fills. It was all or nothing with them. That just wasn't good enough for me, fills are just too important the first year...
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. NYU - Dr. K was my surgeon. Gaspar is fab. So is Frank the nurse and Anne the PA. Can be a little hard to get an appointment, and sometimes they get backed up, but they are always respectful, friendly and great. I'm very happy with my experience there.
    -Yana

    ReplyDelete