I was so excited to go to the doctor today and meet my new doctor and hopefully get a nice big fill. The nurse saw me first and was shocked that they only put 1.0cc in my band for my first fill. The nurse said they typically put 3-4cc's in at the first fill. It would have taken me about 6 months to get to 4cc. My old doctor said they put 1.0cc in at the first fill and .5cc at each additional fill until I hit my sweet spot. I am so happy to be with a more aggressive doctor. I was so happy at this point in my appointment.
Now the doctor comes in. He was also shocked that they only put 1.0cc in my band. So now was the NOT FUN part of my day. (If you recall my first fill, it took them 3 needles to find my port. They said it was tilted and I was left with a HUGE black and blue mark on my stomach. See post dated 12/26/10 to see the picture) I was a little nervous to see if they could find my port, but was trying to be positive and optimistic. I can't tell you how many times he stuck me and how long he poked & prodded. I was almost in tears on the table and also on the verge of passing out again. I kept catching myself not breathing and being totally tense. But it hurt like a bitch. After quite a bit of time and not being able to get it, he says he's not going to continue to try. He said he thinks my port flipped and I need an abdominal x-ray to see where it is. I wanted to die right then and there. He said if it is flipped, they could possibly try to flip it in the office (while the area is numb) or I may have to have surgery to fix it. I was trying VERY hard to hold in the tears. I have not had much luck with this surgery. I'm getting very down and out and don't know how much more I can handle.
I lost it walking out the of the clinic and cried on the phone to my mom, the whole taxi ride back to work, and for like an hour once I got back to work (I just hid in the bathroom and didn't let the kids see me...luckily there are 2 nanny's!) I am an absolute wreck. I'm so nervous to tell my boss. I feel like they're going to flip out when they find out I may need more surgery. I'm working late tonight and praying they come home after MANY alcoholic beverages to put them in a good mood!
Has anyone else had a flipped port like this? I can't recall reading about any, but if you have, please let me know how it turned out for you. I'm looking forward to my x-ray on either Monday or Tuesday to see what the hell is going on in my stomach...well, actually, what is going on next to my belly button.
It's going to be a big challenge for me now not to go hog wild with my food choices. I was so excited to get this fill and be on the liquids all weekend. Now I have NOTHING in my band and I'm completely sad and defeated and just want to eat. This is going to be a long weekend.......
Hope everyone else has a great weekend!

I am so sorry. I don't know anything about a flipped port, but it sounds pretty damn sucky.
ReplyDeleteSo sorry to hear this.Hopefully the Dr will see you as soon as possible to figure out what is going on..Stay strong!
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry your going through this trial. But hopefully, everything will be fine. I've read about flipped ports, it's nothing serious and can be easily fixed. Good luck sweetie, keep us updated! :)
ReplyDeleteaww babe I wish I had more wisdom for you on this, but I don't. Thank god they can get you in next week, and hopefully fill you in on whats going on. You can do this!!! xxoo
ReplyDeleteOh Erica, this sounds really frustrating. I wish I had more than a virtual imaginary hug but it's all I got. But I really mean it----((((((hug))))))).
ReplyDeleteI am sorry about the possible port flip. I just had my port replaced due to a leak. It was a pretty simple surgery (I actually had it done under local instead of general) and I was healed and ready for a fill after a week and a half.
ReplyDeleteAs for fills, becareful with agressive fills. My first 2 fills were 2cc. My thirs was 1cc. I had those done under fluoroscopy.
When I had my fill after port replacement I pushed for a 2.75cc fill becuase I wanted to get to my old restriction level, I ended up spitting my saliva in a cup for a day until I could get some taken out.
Keep us updated on the flip. Try not to get too discouraged.
(www.bandedkryptonite.blogspot.com)
Hope you feel better soon. This new doctor seems more proactive and attentive to your issues...Hope it is resolved soon.
ReplyDelete