weight loss ticker

Friday, December 3, 2010

1st week back at work...lots of tears & a trip to the Emergency Room for 7 hours!

I haven't written for quite a while.  I'll start by saying my friend and I had a great Thanksgiving weekend together.  We cooked so much food, but I did really well with my pureed food!  The first picture is our "before" picture with her "normal" food and my puree food.  I had turkey/gravy, mashed potatoes, cranberry jelly, and green beans.  The second picture is our "after" plates!  She couldn't believe that was all I ate.  It was so delicious and I was completely satisfied.


So after the great weekend with my friend, my week started off not so great.  I had a conference call my bosses (I'm a nanny, so it was the mom & dad on the phone) on Sunday night, before my first day back on Monday.  In one breathe they're saying how much they love me, support me, I'm part of their family, etc.  In the next breathe they basically accused me of not doing my research to know I was going to be out for 2 weeks, that I couldn't be in the pool for 4-5 weeks, and that I couldn't lift more than 7 pounds for 4-5 weeks.  Now, you  must know that there is another full-time nanny that I work with at this house.  We both work M-F and split the 3 girls and split the responsibilities.  The parents told me they feel completely blindsided that I won't be able to do my job "to the full potential" for the next 4-5 weeks.  I was ready to lose it.  I have been with this family for 1 1/2 years.  I have always gone above & beyond the job desciption and they tell me it all the time.  So I asked them that for the next 4-5 weeks if I could mainly do the 2 older girls and not the 2 year old because she requires a lot of lifting (in/out of crib, in/out of cabs in NYC, on/off changing table, in/out of highchair, etc).  They gave me such a hard time and I almost lost it on the phone.  I've been SOOOOO emotional and that put me right over the edge.  They refused to give me 3 sick days....yet the last nanny who was only with them for 8 months, took 6 or 7 sick days and was paid with no questions asked.  I've been with them 1 1/2 years, NEVER called out sick, and for those 3 sick days that I asked for, they said NO.  I won't keep going because I could write a novel on this subject.  There are alot of other things I won't get into, but this just started the week off horribly.

A little back track...I started getting these very severe, piercing pains on my left side, in my left rib/lung/breast area.  It hurt to breathe, take deep breaths, etc.  I couldn't imagine there was still gas from the surgery 10 days out, but I fought the pain from Friday night to Monday.  I finally called my doctor, who told me that I need to come in immediately for a CAT scan!  So after my bosses were so rude and unsupportive....I had to leave work at 2pm on my first day back.  I was so upset.  I went to urgent care...was there 2 1/2 hrs.  They sent me to the Emergency Room where I sat for the next 7 hours.  They did blood & urine tests, a chest xray, a CAT scan, and a sonogram of my leg.  They thought they saw some blockage in my leg from the cat scan, so that's why they ordered the sonogram of my leg.  Of course it turned out to be NOTHING.  SOOOOO frustrating.  My incision was infected, so at least I was able to get an antibiotic for that.  Don't get my wrong, I'm glad it wasn't a blood clot like they thought, but now I had to take another 1/2 day off work.

But it's Friday....I made it through my first week!  I don't feel 100%, but almost there.  My incision is still leaking.  Has anyone else had this issue?  It will be 2 weeks on Sunday since it's been leaking.  I have a single incision in my belly button.  It's slowly leaking less and less, but still definitely leaking.  My emotional stability is getting a little better, but WOW.  This crying business needs to stop already!

Ok, if you're still reading this, THANK YOU!  I'll stop writing.  I need to write more often so this doesn't happen.  Thanks for listening.

5 comments:

  1. oh, I am so sorry for the hard time they are giving you! some people are so self centered! I hope you start to feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness I can't get over your employee's! I am so upset and angry for you. I hope you are doing better!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erica, I am so sorry that happened! I just got out of a "hell boss" situation, and we had a few of those awful conversations.

    That also sucks about the ER. I didn't have incision leakage, but I did have an allergic reaction to the Steri-Strips, and then I had a rash in the fold between my fat rolls (charming, eh?) I would definitely give your surgeon/aftercare doc a call and mention it, it might be a side effect of the infection, or it might be something more.

    Vent away! You'll always have people here to read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's just awful. And yes, my incision wept for a long time, then healed, but reopened months later. I have had several rounds of antibiotics, but continue to have trouble with it closing up. I'm sure yours will not be as troublesome as mine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know, mean people suck! I just don't understand. I sure hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete